What is Internet Failover?
In the IT industry, internet failover is a term typically used to describe a secondary standby internet solution which will kick into action as soon as the primary internet system fails. Internet failover is usually automatic.
Another term often used in a similar vein to internet failover is internet switchover. This is used to describe the switch from a primary to secondary internet connection. Switchover requires human interference, unlike failover.
Why does your business need Internet Failover?
If keeping your business online is essential for it to run successfully, then internet failover is necessary for your business. Think about all the systems used in your organisation that require an internet connection; cloud computing systems, VPN’s, firewalls, video conferencing, research and communicating with your customers via email or VoiP.
Maybe you need to use a card machine such as iZettle or an EPOS system? Even printing requires an internet connection. An internet failover solution for your business will enable you to stay online and use all these services even when your primary internet connection fails. If your primary internet connection experiences downtime it could cost your business thousands of pounds. Not to mention the time spent apologising to customers and recovering afterwards.
How do you set up a successful failover system?
- Choose the best primary method of connectivity for your business. This could be wireless, satellite or ADSL.
- Choose the best secondary method of connectivity for your business. At FreeClix, we love using SimRush as an internet failover solution. It’s a superfast 4G LTE connection. Being non-cabled it’s the perfect failover option for businesses that use wired connections as their primary method of connectivity.
- Synchronise the methods of connectivity to ensure the secondary internet connection fires when the primary internet connection fails. The exact configuration will depend on your connectivity solution, consult your internet service provider or networking consultant if in doubt.
- Don’t forget to test! Make sure you test your internet failover solution is working properly before it goes live. You don’t want any problems with your failover if you need to use it!
- Providing the test works, sit back and relax. Now you have a successfully set up an internet failover, grab a coffee and celebrate no more downtime.
Who can help me with internet failover?
FreeClix are passionate about keeping businesses connected and online. We have over twenty years’ experience providing internet failover consultancy services for businesses. Our wealth of expertise will ensure you receive the correct internet failover solution for your business, at the right price.
You mentioned 4G LTE failover – is that best?
It massively depends on your business, its location, your resources and your failover needs. If you are currently using a wired internet connection, then SimRush is an excellent 4G LTE failover option. However, if you are using SimRush or another 4G LTE connectivity product for your primary connection, an alternative failover solution might work better for your business. In summary, it depends on several factors which we are happy to discuss with you. Don’t hesitate to give us a call if you need some advice.
How do I sort my internet failover once and for all?
We love talking about internet failover. We just love talking about connectivity full stop. So email, call 01603 703340 or use our contact form any time to speak to our friendly team about your internet failover needs.